Monday, April 5, 2010

The Work of Our Hands: Easter Crafts



A friend recently told me that one of the tenets of the Montessori method is to create "a home that is rich with culture." This kept coming back to me as I prepared our first Easter tree. Growing up, I loved my family's Easter trees. Nana, my paternal grandmother, decorated one of her houseplants with wooden ornaments, silk flowers and craft birds. After mass we'd find our Easter baskets sitting at the plants base. My mother put flowering branches in a vase and hung them with painted eggs.

I didn't think I'd have time to make and paint ausgeblasene eggs like we did growing up, so I tried to recreate paper ornaments that I'd seen at Pottery Barn. I used vintage images from the Graphicsfairy. (Thank you so much, Jennie, for introducing me to the site!) I poached forsythia branches from one of our local parks. We had scambled eggs for dinner on Good Friday, so I decided to make ausgeblasene eggs after all--I painted them a simple gold and hung them with red, white and pink ribbons.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out and look forward to adding to our trove of ornaments in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment